Subject: [lbo-talk] Madonna discovers sin

N P Childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 18 17:28:12 PDT 2005

>This is pretty funny. Must be going around though. I read a spread
>in the NYT Magazine about Bill Maher. Maher, living in
>magnificence, says that he hopes someday to renounce material
>things, in line with his love of Buddhism.

Actually it strikes me as being a pretty typical part of the cult of celebrity; the belief that because a person is rich, famous, ie. a celebrity, every word that spews out there mouth is automatically imbued with wisdom and insight no matter how stupid, poorly informed or self contradictory (like, now that I'm wealthy material things are unimportant to me). This is the funny part, when they start to belive themselves, like Madge does now apparently. I remember back in the 80's when Shirley McLain was flogging her brand of new greed centered mysticism and was referred to as 'an important contemporary thinker'. I think I lost bladder control.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo