[lbo-talk] Re: working class?

Victor victor at kfar-hanassi.org.il
Wed Oct 19 04:50:17 PDT 2005

Interesting,

You describe, categorization, a better and more appropriate term than sectoring, as a matter of grouping empirical elements, whatever these may be, deemed similar in some respect and setting them apart from all other elements deemed dissimilar. How do you do all this deeming? Is it by irrational impressionism, by way a-priori categories embedded in the structure of mind, or by socially learned rational thinking? You recognize that categories are necessary to make sense of experience, and you conclude your first paragraph by describing the aim of categorization as suggesting that is realized through a social rational process, but your subsequent reasoning suggests a vague mix of other cognitive models.

At the end of the second paragraph categorization is described in rational-practical terms as a matter of determining distinctions between experiences, and then testing the existence and the relation of those categories in practical activity, but there is still no description of how the distinctions between categories are determined. The issue is an important one since the way categories are determined is critical to what and how concepts are made.

Marxism, along with Hegelian objective idealism is both inductive and deductive; inducing essence or significance to determine significant categories, proceeding to deduction in determining conceptual relations or ideas. Marxist and Hegelian dialectics (deductive logical process) begins with broad, simple abstractions and proceeds towards more concrete (more specified) conceptualization of relations.

For example, you argue that some categories are too broad to have much predictive power, i.e. class, as if an abstract concept's practical value must be directly evidenced by the most concrete concepts. That's much like writing that the theory of symmetry of the laws of nature must be evident in the leaves of the tree in your front yard, it will never happen. Practical testing of abstractions can only be done in two ways, the highly controlled experiment, or by determining and testing the practical value of concrete concepts derived from the abstract categories. The implementation of the controlled experiment and the testing of concrete categories derived from abstraction must be logical(deductive or inferential), systematic, and practical.

Tests of the validity of a broad abstraction cannot be concrete, and as such, the transformation of abstractions into the kinds of concrete representations of reality necessary for effective, practical activity usually fails, often disastrously. In the recent discussion here on Schelling's Nobel Prize at least one correspondent brought up the terrific failure, practical and otherwise, of the application of game theory to the real conditions of the Vietnam war. Game theory like any abstract theory is reasonable and useful, but only within the limits of its level of abstraction. The attempt by Schelling and MacNamara to use a "scientific" system for winning the war caused terrific suffering for the Vietnamiese people and lost America the war (if it was ever in a position to win). The same critique of the illegitimate uses of abstraction can be said for those bright things that need only read or hear about the categorization of political economic roles into classes and of they go to fight "class war." It doesn't work that way: Classes are differential relations of production, legally and politically represented in laws and politics of property. Anyone who regards the concrete implications of the concept of class (at it's simplest!) should try plowing through all 3 volumes of das Capital. A casual at a more or less comprehensive library for business law is enough to disabuse anyone of the immediate practical utility of class as an abstract category. The use of the concept of class for practical analysis of concrete conditions needs a lot of deduction relative to facts in the field.

If class is so abstract that it has no conceivable practical use, then why have it at all? The theoretical value of class is in its use as: 1. The fundamental concept of the universal link between production and social organization - The material basis of social organization. 2. An abstract representation of the fundamental division of labour that provides the kernel for the rational derivation of more complex systems of organization of production - the political-economic basis of social life 3. The abstract description of the conflict of needs and differential means for their realization of the classes comprising a universal system of production (capitalism of course) - the dialectics of the historical development of the organization of production. The testing of these abstract relations can only be done by examining history in huge chunks or by carrying out highly restricted simulations either with people in structured research environments or on the computer (as in game theory).

Victor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 18:53 Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Re: working class?