[lbo-talk] Re: working class?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Oct 19 08:58:01 PDT 2005

> you think working class people are more racist and war mongering than
> yuppies. you've said it here, claiming you'd prefer to be around yuppies
> than the others because they are all republican, war-mongering, aggressive
> creeps who mock you at Walmart because you're not a native 'merikkkan.

I still think that this is generally true - and I still dislike such views and attitudes - but as I already explained that does not mean that I disrespect people who hold such views. At least not for holding the views alone.

In fact I met quite a number of them when I worked for the Department of the Army and I had some very heated arguments about US foreign policy and militarism in general. But despite these differences, we highly respected each other. Just as an illustration, at the end of the training one of these guys presented me with a "very special gift" - a confederate flag he brought from home. I was stunned, but he explained to me that the flag symbolized being a rebel to him, and he thought I was one who deserved it. I kept the flag, but did not display it - Santa Cruz radicals would probably tar and feather me for that - but unfortunately it got lost with some of my other stuff when I was moving "back East."

I met a lot of other people whose views and life styles I found disagreeable for various reasons - but I generally managed to have mutually respectful relationships with them. That would change is someone tried to put their bigoted ideas into action - and attack others - but I did not experience that very often.

Wojtek