[lbo-talk] the 50-word story

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 21 03:28:28 PDT 2005

Michael Hirsch wrote:

> Nobody is "condoning the contempt and disgust of teachers." But
>Joanna (and now Andie, it seems) is shifting the focus away from the
>real frustrations teachers have with blase students to alleging
>bilious attitudes on the part of faculty. The answer to Soviet Era
>incompetence was not, as the old joke went, "look at the racism in
>the United States." There are burnt-out profs who've given up on
>teaching and there are students wasting their own time in college.
>Both statements are true. Both need to be remedied.This isn't a
>contest over whose class wounds are deeper.

Isn't there something seriously wrong when kids get to college - a name-brand college, like NYU or the University of Virginia - and can't write a grammatical sentence or know when the Civil War happened? Sure, they're the product of a dumbass history-hating society, but it's easy to understand why it bums teachers out. Drove me out of the profession, that's for sure. I don't know how people stand it, in fact.

Doug