[lbo-talk] the 50-word story

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 21 12:44:43 PDT 2005

Doug posted:

Patrick wrote:

> Sounds like standard radio news stories. Even Pacifica rarely
> opened up more than 3 min/story when I reported for them 15 years
> ago. I remember being in a Capitol Hill studio during the Jim
> Wright paranha feed with the wire reporters and one (from AP, I
> think) loudly advertised his little thrill: "I got space for two
> actualities!" (soundbites) Everyone looked at him in awe.

On the other hand, American movies today are longer than they used to be (and many of them feel longer than they should be, even though each shot is probably shorter on average than one used to be).

"During the late 1940s, the average length of a film increased from what was prevalent in the 1930s and early 1940s. By the 1950s, the average length increased from 75–80 to 90–100 minutes per film, with many exceeding 120 minutes" ("Editorial Policy," AFI Catalog, <http:// afi.chadwyck.com/about/editorial.htm>).

I wonder why. Don't shorter films make more economic sense (more showings, more tickets and snacks sold)?

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>