[lbo-talk] Teaching Rights and Entitlements

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 15:17:03 PDT 2005

How does that fit into No Child Left Untested?

Actually, my own kids in Evanston, Ill., say that they get overdoses of the Civil Rights movement.

The other stuff, Social security, Medicare/caid, union organizing rights (ha ha ha), employment law and employment disctimination, some criminal law beyond "knowing your rights" (Miranda) actually requires some legal and historical knowledge. When I took contracts (especially) I thought, gee, everybody ought to have at least an overview of this stuff. Also with consumer protection laws. But this not stuff that teaching schools are qualified to teach teachers, or most teachers are qualified to teach. And it is stuff that really has to be taught right because if you want to use it, rather than just know about it in a general way, it matters whether you get it right.

So I agree that it would be good to have this stuff taught in schools, and you could do it under citizenship, not even as a lefty exercise, but it would take a complete revamping of tecaher education.

jks