[lbo-talk] the 50-word story

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Oct 21 16:35:32 PDT 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:21:00 -0400 Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> writes:
> Justin:
>

> > Generally speaking I'd say, what do you really expect
> > of students? For the most part very little in their
> > lives or background, or future prospects, exists to
> > have stimulated intellectual curiosity, love of
> > learning, or doing hard work that doesn't produce
> > extrinsic rewards. In the humanities and social
> > sciences, lots of students take classes as
> > distributional requirements, and without these,
> > there'd be even less demand for philosophy, english,
> > history, political science, sociology, or anthropology
> > professors -- maybe even less demand for economics
> > profs. Occasionally you get the student with a live
> > mind or the ones who mind you can help to spark. For
> > the rest, you try to impart some basic skills that
> > will help them in their endeavors.
>

> Amen! Schools have become credential selling institutions - perhaps
> more so
> than they used to. That means a very different composition of the
> student
> population. It used to be more selective - more likely to attract
> mainly
> those with interest in the subject matter or intellectual pursuits -

Well in the United States colleges and universities have long been interested in recruiting students who had little interest in intellectual pursuits as such. Back in the 19th century, it was not the norm even among the wealthy upper class for young people to go on to college. And keep in mind there was a lot less credentialism than is the case now a days. Generally speaking, university degrees were not required for practicing most professions. For instance, most lawyers learned the law by apprenticing to practicing attorneys, what was called "reading law," and then going on to take the bar exam. Most physicians were trained in proprietary medical schools where the courses of study ran from anywhere from six months to two years. Generally the graduates of such schools, after having picked up a smattering of science, would then work for a time under an established general practitioner, before going on to hang out their shingles. Under such conditions, it was generally only the most academically young people who would consider going to college or university. With the growth of a wealthy upper class during the 19th century, colleges and universities began to seek out ways to make their institutions more attractive to this affluent clientale. Thus they introduced such things as student athletics, fraternities and eating clubs and so forth to make college life more attractive. Since many of these students were not necessarily strongly drawn to intellectual pursuits, other means had to be used to attract them.