[lbo-talk] the 50-word story

ravi listmail at kreise.org
Sat Oct 22 10:32:04 PDT 2005

The US has a great college system. When I went to grad school I got straight A's the first semester and contemplated various Ph.D programs, honour societies, etc. Instead, I grew my hair long, got an earring and a motorcycle and pissed away the next two semesters. My poor advisor tried his politest best to point me in the right direction, but I was old enough to scorn my academic life ;-).

One of these days I hope to regain my senses, sell the Ducati (and buy a Triumph or Aprilia, Gary!) and try to study under Fodor at RUCCS. He has encouraged me to sit through his classes.

So, in summary ;-), if you are still reading: 1) don't blame the teachers each time (perhaps I am biased: almost every ancestor of mine that I know of was a teacher). 2) Long hair and earrings are so loser 80s. 3) If you want a rare bike that will be difficult to fix, a Laverda or Jawa is better than a Ducati, 4) even Tariq Ali spent his school years better than I did. 5) The only problem I see is that we tend to think of people like Richard Feynman as the "good teachers".

--ravi

-- If you wish to contact me, you will get my attention faster by substituting "r" for "listmail" in my email address. Thank you!!