[lbo-talk] Bush as Diversion

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 23 01:01:31 PDT 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> Carrol Cox wrote:
>>
>> >But capital, not a particular administration, is our enemy.
>>
>> What's capital? How do we find it/them?
>
>Ever hear of Metonymy?
>
>Yoshie put it nicely: "Some leftists are oddly literal-minded."

If some people had used "capital" that way, I'd have read it as metonymy. I use it myself rather frequently. But you're constantly so vague on actual persons, institutions, and mechanisms of engagement that I took it as an grand abstraction, with no personification in the earthly realm. So I was wondering if you could put some flesh on this formulation.

"Some leftists..."? I thought you hated that sort of generalization.

Doug