[lbo-talk] Maureen Dowd's chair

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 23 08:01:51 PDT 2005

>From: Dick Grippon <abe.initio at gmail.com>
>
>Add that one to the list of metaphors one would never apply to a man, but
>would freely apply to women. Mud wrestlers or cats fighting. It's all so
>cuuuuuuuuute and humorous, oh my.
>
>>When Divas Collide: Maureen Dowd v. Judy Miller
>>
>>By ASSHOLE COCKITCH
>>
>>Would you pay $49.95 to watch women wrestling in mud?

[Here's more on the story, free of mud metaphors and cuteness, from the NY Times "public editor":]

October 23, 2005 The Public Editor

The Miller Mess: Lingering Issues Among the Answers

By BYRON CALAME

The good news is that the bad news didn't stop The New York Times from publishing a lengthy front-page article last Sunday about the issues facing Judith Miller and the paper, or from pushing Ms. Miller to give readers a first-person account of her grand jury testimony.

The details laid out in the commendable 6,200-word article by a special team of reporters and editors led by the paper's deputy managing editor answered most of my fundamental questions. At issue, of course, was Ms. Miller's refusal to divulge her confidential sources to the grand jury investigating who had leaked the identity of a C.I.A. undercover operative. But the article and Ms. Miller's account also uncovered new information that suggested the journalistic practices of Ms. Miller and Times editors were more flawed than I had feared.

The Times must now face up to three major concerns raised by the leak investigation: First, the tendency by top editors to move cautiously to correct problems about prewar coverage. Second, the journalistic shortcuts taken by Ms. Miller. And third, the deferential treatment of Ms. Miller by editors who failed to dig into problems before they became a mess. ...

The apparent deference to Ms. Miller by Arthur Sulzberger Jr., the publisher, and top editors of The Times, going back several years, needs to be addressed more openly, especially in view of the ethics issues that have come to light. ...

What does the future hold for Ms. Miller? She told me Thursday that she hopes to return to the paper after taking some time off. Mr. Sulzberger offered this measured response: "She and I have acknowledged that there are new limits on what she can do next." It seems to me that whatever the limits put on her, the problems facing her inside and outside the newsroom will make it difficult for her to return to the paper as a reporter.

(The public editor serves as the readers' representative. His opinions and conclusions are his own. His column appears at least twice monthly in this section.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/23/opinion/23publiceditor.html

Carl