[lbo-talk] Bush as Diversion

Culture Lab info at pulpculture.org
Sun Oct 23 18:25:08 PDT 2005

At 08:24 PM 10/23/2005, Carrol Cox wrote:
>The core of my four posts on this subject is the following:
>
>Carrol Cox wrote:
> >
> > But any
> > serious left political thinking has to start by explaining what is
> > becoming pretty obvious: The U.S. Ruling Class is overwhelmingly
> > committed to this military adventure in Iraq.
>
>My argument is that that commitment is evidence that u.s. troops
>stationed in Iraq is a central concern of u.s. policy, abroad and hence
>ultimately at home. Those who deny this seem to follow the rhetorical
>techniques of the ID folks -- picking holes in any explanation offered
>but being unable to offer a positive explanation if their own. The
>support for the policy is too widespread and too deep for it to be
>blamed solely or even mainly on Bush.
>
>Carrol

I haven't noticed that anyone here denies this. Where disagreements emerge is on how to proceed. Hence, your anger with people who are making fun of Bush. You worry, correct me if I'm wrong, that the approaches sends the wrong message. By focusing on Bush, it makes it appear as if the answer is the Democrats.

However, it seems to me that no one here, save perhaps Nathan and Brad DeLong, supports the Democrats in any serious way. They might vote for them. They might think that the Democrats are a more tolerable ruling class in terms of domestic policy. But, I think there is only a very tiny minority of posters who think that the Democrats are the path to a leftist future. That the Democrats won't have to be destroyed first in order to get there.

I guess what I don't understand is what's at stake, for you, if people hold those opinions and even act on them by, say, voting for Democrats or, heck, even canvassing during election years.

I'm applying to MoveOn right now, btw. I not only need the job, I really hope to get it so I can be a fly in Chuck0's KY lube.

Goooooooooooooooo democrats. Push 'em back, Push 'em back, Push 'em waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back! (I'm just teasing about the cheerleader routine, but I'm serious about the job. Next stop is the military-industrial perplex, building Web interfaces for weapons systems!)

Drunken Bitch,

Bitch | Lab (grand re-opening)

What? Did you think I'd give it away for free?

The Bitch Breathed on it Book Sale on now.

http://blog.pulpculture.org