[lbo-talk] Paul Krugman articles

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Oct 23 21:22:25 PDT 2005

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, Adam Souzis wrote:

> truthout.org posts most, if not all, his columns on their site (until
> the Times goes after them i guess). Just search for "krugman" on their
> home page.
>
> Also, his columns are syndicated so you can usually find them on other
> papers' websites

That's useful advice. Here's another way to look at though. The TimeSelect subscription opens up the entire archive to you, which was closed before. That's pretty cool, actually; it's nice to be able to access articles from last week. And afaict, the system doesn't check to see if there are multiple log-ins. So if 5 of you were to use it, it would only be 10 bucks a year for the archive function.

But it gets better. If you know one person who currently buys the NYT in hardcopy, they can subscribe to part of the week, and they'll get it for free. Also then they'll be no credit card info attached. The margin between their buying it on the stand and subscribing is even less than the TimeSelect price (because remember, it doesn't have to be a full week sub).

But best of all, if you know one person who currently buys the NYT in hardcopy *and is a teacher of some sort* (including college professor) they can actually subscribe for less money than they currently paying to pick it up themselves. The NYT has an "educators' discount" that I never I knew about before. Then the service is cheaper than free even before you begin to split it. And once again, there is no credit card info attached (so long as they do their subscribing over the phone).

Michael