[lbo-talk] Salon's Advice Columnist: No Sob Sister!

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Oct 24 13:06:18 PDT 2005

Kelley:

> I guess I have a lot more faith in human beings than Wojtek -

What does that mean? That you are less critical of the stories people tell you? Or that you trust more people? Or trust stories about the goodness of the common folk that other may consider sappy, hackneyed, and disingenuous? Or what?

As for me, I actually think that most people are decent and trustworthy beings most of the time. My general reaction is to take what people tell me for its face value, even if I disagree with it - and assume that their intentions are honest. But I also know that most people snap sometimes - usually encouraged by the circumstances - and there are circumstances that would make most people snap. Moreover, some are rotten, parasitic, good for nothing SOBs that contribute nothing but stench to this world. These are a relatively small minority to be sure, but as they say in the old country - it only takes a spoonful of vinegar to spoil a barrel of wine.

So where does that put me on your scale of faith in human beings?

Wojtek