[lbo-talk] Gary Hart is a dick

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 26 14:18:06 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood on the outing of Richard Welch:

> Who did then? Genuine question - I don't know the story

The East Germans, who published "Who's Who in the CIA" in 1968, I think. It listed Welch's name along with about 2,500 others; at that time he was active in Latin America. It was well-known that Welch was the station chief in Greece, too, because station chiefs were always the easiest to spot on the list of civil servants at a US embassy. Agee's methodology for identifying all kinds of CIA agents -- not just station chiefs -- was largely elaborated in some of his books in the late 70s, if I recall correctly (e.g., "Dirty Work: The CIA in Western Europe"), which was after Welch was assassinated.

Old-timers who were involved in anti-CIA work in the past (Carrol Cox, perhaps?) probably know more of this story than I do.