[lbo-talk] CNN Breaking News

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Oct 26 17:44:00 PDT 2005

------------------------------------------ Don't know whether it's been pointed out yet or not, but Bernanke's speech was made at the height of concerns in 2002 that the US was poised on the cusp of a Japan-style deflation, following the bursting of the dot com bubble. So, in context, Bernanke's speech really wasn't that "agressive and unorthodox" and was consistent with the Fed's frantic rate-cutting which lasted until it reversed course last year. The subsequent sharp drop in mortgage rates fuelled price inflation in the real estate market and related consumer spending tied to mortgage refinancing. How quickly we - or they - forget...