[lbo-talk] Please CALL KENT STATE ADMIN over harassment of antiwar protesters

mitchelcohen at mindspring.com mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 27 11:42:56 PDT 2005

I've received the following from Bill McNulty <wmcnult at suffolk.lib.ny.us>, and urge people to call Kent State administratin (phone numbers at the end) to protest their harassment and possible dismissal of nonviolent antiwar protester.

Dear Friends, Kent State of all places. This type of reaction to recruitment education work is hard to ignore. But it is becoming all too common and as the warmakers become more desperate, could become to order of the day. Can you take time to express your feelings to those involved?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karen Sackett" rksrc2001 at yahoo.com

As you may or may not have heard at the 'ON THE FRONTLINES' conference KENT STATE is attempting to deal with attacks from the administration and campus police.

Last Wed., Oct. 19th, one of our Kent State Anti-war Committee members (Dave Airhart-Iraq Veteran) decided to sign the liability forms from the ARMY to climb their rock wall. They did not realize that Dave was a counter recrutier.

When he reached the top he took out a sheet (which he had tucked under his jacket) and draped it over the rock wall. It read "KENT STATE 4 PEACE!"

After hanging the sheet Dave climbed down, while a recruiter climbed right next to him yelling and screaming as though Dave were back in boot camp. Six police officers showed up as well as the administration--giving Dave a fine of $105 for 'disorderly conduct'. (I should also mention that an hour later a right wing bigot came by the counter recruiters and ripped a sign out of a woman's hand and spit. This young man however was NOT ticketed for 'disorderly conduct'--though the police were still there.) Now the administration is making Dave Airhart also go to court, where he will face probation or suspension.

We need your help! We do have a press conference scheduled for Wed. Oct. 26 but we also need phone calls and e-mails from all over this country so that we can show the administration that we are everywhere and strong. Below is a list of phone number and e-mails that you can call/write expressing your disgust with the treatment of anti-war activist on the KENT STATE campus.

- Carol Cartwright, University President: 330.672.2210 carol.cartwright at kent.edu

- William Ross, Executive Director of the Undergraduate Student Senate: 330.672.3207 wross at kent.edu

- Greg Jarvie, Dean of Undergraduate Students: 330.672.9494 gjarvie at kent.edu