[lbo-talk] Fwd: NEWS: Aziz Galloway Testimony Falsified in Coleman/ Volcker Reports

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 28 10:15:13 PDT 2005

[another release from The New Press]

October 28, 2005

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AZIZ TESTIMONY, FOUNDATION OF VOLCKER AND COLEMAN REPORTS WAS FALSIFIED ACCORDING TO AZIZ AND HIS ATTORNEYS

"J'Accuse Coleman and Volcker," says British MP George Galloway

Alleged testimony from former Iraqi leader Tariq Aziz, which formed the bedrock for the recent attacks on Bethnal Green and Bow MP George Galloway, is completely false, the Respect MP said in Paris today.

"J'accuse," said Galloway. "Firstly, Senator Norm Coleman for fabricating it and Paul Volcker for going along with it." Aziz is quoted in the Senate inquiry (chaired by Coleman) implicating Galloway of soliciting oil allocations of up to 18 million barrels. In the Volcker inquiry the same testimony is used - but a subsequent denial by Aziz is discounted.

Galloway was speaking after a lengthy meeting with Aziz's French lawyer Maitre Emmanuel Ludot. "Tariq Aziz absolutely denies ever saying that I benefited from oil deals or that I talked to him about oil allocations. He never made these statements. Coleman's case against me is based on a grand lie. If he made this up what does that say about the shadowy sources he also uses against me."

The vindication by Aziz of Galloway came out of a meeting between the imprisoned former leader and his Iraqi lawyer. That denial was then passed on to M Ludot, who will be making his own statement about the events.

"I've been blackguarded by this pipsqueak Coleman, not just in his worthless report, but in media throughout the world." Galloway continued. "I am demanding that he publicly clears my name and admits that this is a total fabrication."