[lbo-talk] Bankruptcy attack?

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Fri Oct 28 21:15:59 PDT 2005

________________________________

Gary?

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/13007003.htm US autos better than European ?

Consumer Reports, the influential nonprofit product-test magazine, sees the same trend.

"Domestic manufacturers are now in second place behind the Japanese," spokesman Doug Love said. "European manufacturers currently are in third."

The magazine's editors reported Wednesday that for the second straight year, no European model had made its most-reliable list, which Japanese entries continue to dominate. Two American entries, the Chevy Monte Carlo and Mercury Mariner, made it.

Gary? ride si sapis

Yeah, I've seen CR's ratings. What can I say? CR is somewhat notorious for having a rating system that awards high marks to the most pedestrian cars on the road. US cars have improved tremendously in recent years but it's still too little, too late. No one buys a European car because it's reliable: one buys it for cachet and status. The styling of American cars is just awful: I can't recall a sharp-looking American car in years. Last year ago I was traveling a lot and renting a lot cars,primarily GM models of all makes. They were okay; they got me where I needed to go without a problem, but there was nothing about any of them that would make me consider buying one. They weren't ungodly pieces of junk, like they have been in recent past, but they weren't anything special either.