[lbo-talk] Is US becoming hostile to science?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 29 10:49:39 PDT 2005

>Reuters.co.uk
>
>Is US becoming hostile to science?
>Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:10 PM BST8
>
>By Alan Elsner
>
>...Other polls show that only around a third of American adults accept
>the Big Bang theory of the origin of the universe, even though the
>concept is virtually uncontested by scientists worldwide...

Not so "uncontested." Leading astronomers like Hoyle, Wickramasinghe, Alfven and Arp reject it for very substantial reasons. The Big Bang theorists themselves have been compelled, by accumulating observational evidence contradicting their expectations, to postulate *two* unobserved and unobservable classes of matter--"Dark Matter" and "Dark Energy"--without which the Big Bang theory collapses. So what right do Big Bang theorists have to complain against those who postulate an unobserved and unobservable "Intelligent Designer" as originator of the physical universe?

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)