[lbo-talk] Re: Horse's mouth

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Oct 29 14:20:59 PDT 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Fair enough. But at the end of the day, only Libby is standing
> alone at the dock when he should be among a crowd.

It's not over. I think you're misreading this. The reason is only Libby is in the dock so far is because Libby was the only one he had an iron clad case against by the time the grand jury's deadline ran out. It was alread extended and can't be extended again. So now he's going to impanel a new grand jury, get them up to speed by showing them everything's he got, and continue on.

There is at least one other leaker listed in the indictment -- an Official A who told Novak and who wasn't Libby and who the rumor mill has long thought was Rove.

And in the other direction, Fitzgerald still hasn't established motivation. And that leads above Libby's head -- and there are only two people above his head. He was the chief of staff of the acting president of the United States and the assistant on security affairs to the President. And conceivably that leads into the entire stovepiping operation.

The timeline established by the indictment also now shows that that Cheney was lying and peddling the same fabricated story as Libby 3 months after Libby had disclosed it to Miller. Cheney did it on TV instead of under oath, so it wasn't a crime in itself. But it definately suggests conspiracy to obstruct justice and I don't think there's any doubt Fitzgerald will check that possibility out thoroughly before he's done.

If Fitzgerald can't find charges that he thinks will stick, he'll say nothing. But he has definately not stopped looking. And he has the power to compel and he defines relentless. Every person in the administration without exception is under a sword of Damocles until he closes up shop

Michael