[lbo-talk] Re:john cage

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun Oct 30 15:01:43 PST 2005

From: Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>
>> It will hardly do as recorded, radiot, or
>> TV music, however, I should think??

> I've seen it performed "on TV" and it's on several albums.

A couple of years back, it was the subject of a copyright suit--some modern composer had done his own version, was sued by the Cage estate, and made a donation (in the low six figures, I believe) to some charity to settle the brouhaha.

> Is it wrong to listen to a recording of an opera?

No, just boring.

> Is it wrong to go to plays if you're blind?

The Columbia Masterworks LP of _Waiting for Godot_, with that excellent cast, is quite compelling.