[lbo-talk] Re:john cage

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sun Oct 30 17:51:09 PST 2005

> they're all less satisfactory than being able to commit
> all five senses to a live performance, IMO.

For most of Art, I'm uninterested in tasting the performers :)

[And what of the other senses? There are Charlie Parker recordings where I'm sure kinesthetics plays a part in my enjoyment]

I would claim that for any given performance, for any given audience member, far less than "all five senses are commited" (let's call it 10 or two pair, shall we?) . . . so, my advice is enjoy what you can, how you can: there's no such thing as a perfect production or a perfect experience. I am often 'satisfied' by a glance at graffiti from a speeding train, a teaspoon of a riff stolen from the overloud headphones of a passing stranger, or frankly, fuzzy memories of my last visit to the Prado. Jack Lemmon's (static) performance in Glengarry Glen Ross grabs me a different way everytime I see it.

/jordan