[lbo-talk] The Note: Alito's in

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Mon Oct 31 08:31:51 PST 2005

andie nachgeborenen

Yikes. This guy is bad news. I know his opinions from way back. I don't actually think that the right to abortion as such would be at immediate risk -- the'd have to overturn three precedents, including Casey, which reaffirms Roe very strongly, but he's a Scalia clone. Very smart, Clearly qualified. He'll only be rejected if he can be Borked, treated as off the deep end. Bush is weak now, but I don't think the Democrats will fight or that the modereate Republicans will turn him down. Ugly. Myabe this will move Kennedy into the O'Connor swing vote slote. He's part way there already with his gay rights opinions and it would be a smart move for him, make him more important on the Court, since he;'s not going to outflank Scalia, Thompas, and (if confirmed) Alito on the right.