[lbo-talk] The Note: Alito's in

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Oct 31 09:40:01 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
> The obsession of many leftists with the SC is a
> holdover from the days
> of the Warren Court, a period which everyone should
> have known wouldn't
> last. SC-dependence became addictive, and leftists
> simply have to work
> on curing that addiction.
> Carrol

Carroll-- I hate the liberal love of courts and am against judicial review. But the problem is not that the courts under Scalito won't help progressives; it's that it will actively help undermine progressive institutions and overturn the laws we are able to pass. It will expand interpretations of the law that undercut unions and criminalize their activities.

I for one am not looking for courts to be a friend of progressives. I just don't want an activist enemy.

Nathan Newman