[lbo-talk] Chavez vs Halloween

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Oct 31 20:55:43 PST 2005

Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
> Chavez: Halloween part of U.S. culture of terror
>

> CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- President Hugo Chavez urged Venezuelan parents not to dress their children in costumes for Halloween, calling it a U.S. custom that has no place in the South American country's cultural traditions.
>
> Speaking during his weekly radio and television show Sunday, Chavez called Halloween a "gringa," or North American, custom. "Families go and begin to disguise their children as witches," Chavez said.
>
> "That is contrary to our ways."

Ah yes, Chavez is starting to look like just another tin horn dictator who thinks he has the right to tell his people how to live their lives. Now he's adopted a position roughly similar to the American religious right which also wants to kill Halloween. Coming up next, a cultural revolution to save Venezuelans from evil American influences.

Jesus christ, I thought the world rejected this bullshit during the 20th century.

Enjoying leftover Halloween candy...

Chuck