Fascism vs. Nazism (was: RE: [lbo-talk] Re: lbo, a den of right-wingers?)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 09:16:23 PDT 2005

I'm starting to think that comparing the neo-cons to the Fascists is a real insult to the Fascists. They at least had style and talent.

I may be wrong on this, but I don't think the Nazis considered themselves to be fascists? Even though there are obvious similarities between the two ideologies, there are obvious differences (and obvious differences in body count), most glaringly the lunatic Nazi racial obsession. There were Jews in the Fascist Party after all. If I remember correctly Arendt argued that in OoT that Fascism and Nazism were qualitatively different, much as (in her view) Leninism and Stalinism were qualitatively different.

Actually, on the Evil Dictator Body-Count Continuum, Mussolini rates way, way down on the list. The Italian Fascists executed, what, 13 people for political reasons? (Quoting by memory.) Hitler killed 400 people just on the Night of the Long Knives. The Chinese government has executed way more people than Mussolini. I wonder how he would be viewed today if he hadn't allied with Hitler.