[lbo-talk] Shoot-to-kill for looters?

Gary? slade.g at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:39:23 PDT 2005

On 9/1/05, Wendy Lyon <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Haven't been following all the hurricane threads so forgive me if I
> missed this, but Irish news has just reported that NO police are
> following a shoot-to-kill policy for looters. Is this true?

I've heard conflicting coverage of this but doubt it. It would appear, unsurprisingly , the media has blown the violence angle out of proportion. Just watching Fox who went to Charity Hospital for a report on it being surrounded by looters, the nurse there describing the situation said the hospital was surrounded by five foot deep water floating with hazhardous waste and oil slicks, also guarding the perimeter were police with shotguns. A few people had tried to enter the hospital looking for food and shelter but had been turned away- that was the extent of looting. On returning to the studio our bubble head said dis approvingly ' you'd think they'd leave a hospital '(paraphrasing obviously but almost word for word) Totally conflicting with the actual on scene report. I've mainly been switching between fox and msnbc both absolutely ridiculous with coverage but fox is laughable or would be if it wasn't so sad and misleading.

Gary? ride si sapis -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20050901/1faced96/attachment.htm>