[lbo-talk] Shoot-to-kill for looters?

Celi Ben cpthron at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 1 17:05:19 PDT 2005

>Message: 2
>Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:39:23 -0400
>From: Gary? <slade.g at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Shoot-to-kill for looters?
>To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
>
>On 9/1/05, Wendy Lyon <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Haven't been following all the hurricane threads so forgive me if I
> > missed this, but Irish news has just reported that NO police are
> > following a shoot-to-kill policy for looters. Is this true?
>

>I've heard conflicting coverage of this but doubt it. It would appear,
>unsurprisingly , the media has blown the violence angle out of proportion.
>Just watching Fox who went to Charity Hospital for a report on it being
>surrounded by looters, the nurse there describing the situation said the
>hospital was surrounded by five foot deep water floating with hazhardous

MSNBC showed police in a Kmart calmly filling a cart with stuff that didn't look related to relief aid. My father lived there in the mid60s and said that when a new mayor came in, the crime rate appeared to go up because the police had been so corrupt that no one would call them to report crime. Anyway - the best point some people have been making is that regardless of acknowledging that this would be a lot for any government to deal with, what the hell happened with all the homeland security money that they can't even accomplish the single task of distributing water. There are big festivals like bumbershoot in Seattle where there are 200,000 people in attendance, and a relatively small number of staff can clean up at the end of the day, take care of portapotties, and are not hard stretched to deal with a lot more. A single set of city buses can move a lot of people quickly, so why couldn't they drive in a fleet from Houston or Baton rouge since Monday.

My mother has always had a disaster perspective since her town was blown up near Frankfurt in 1945 when she was a young teenager, and they went for a year with one set of clothes and were digging in the fields for missed potatoes, and became extremely thin. many older women from the era have a type of PTSD, such as my aunt who saw her father shot in front of her and had to walk in from a german area in what is now poland (there are several ethnic groups such as the sorbs who never got their own nation state in that fragmented area). Anyway, she has always frequently pointed out bad things that could happen, and has casually mentioned to have a bicycle ready where I am in Santa Cruz right now because with a car, you don't know where you would run out of gas, and she has praised the mormon cellars with 7 yrs worth of food.

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/