[lbo-talk] Molly Ivins on NO

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 08:33:15 PDT 2005

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0509010009sep01,1,6491327.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

<http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0509010009sep01,1,6491327.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true>Why New Orleans is in deep water

Molly Ivins, Creators Syndicate Published September 1, 2005

AUSTIN, Texas -- Like many of you who love New Orleans, I find myself taking short mental walks there today, turning a familiar corner, glimpsing a favorite scene, square or vista. And worrying about the beloved friends and the city, and how they are now.

To use a fine Southern word, it's tacky to start playing the blame game before the dead are even counted. It is not too soon, however, to make a point that needs to be hammered home again and again, and that is that government policies have real consequences in people's lives.

This is not "just politics" or blaming for political advantage. This is about the real consequences of what governments do and do not do about their responsibilities. And about who winds up paying the price for those policies.

This is a column for everyone in the path of Hurricane Katrina who ever said, "I'm sorry, I'm just not interested in politics," or, "There's nothing I can do about it," or, "Eh, they're all crooks anyway."

Nothing to do with me, nothing to do with my life, nothing I can do about any of it. Look around you this morning. I suppose the National Rifle Association would argue, "Government policies don't kill people, hurricanes kill people." Actually, hurricanes plus government policies kill people.