[lbo-talk] Andrea's last night

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 2 10:48:47 PDT 2005

[researching Ariel Levy in prep for interview her about her strange but interesting new book, Female Chauvinist Pigs, I came across her obit for Andrea Dworkin <http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/people/features/11907/> - I think the fact that AD had her last supper chez Hitch has come up here already, but I'm not sure the rest of the guest list did]

[...]

Their big, bright apartment in D.C., in a Deco building with a vaguely old-Hollywood feel, is all on one level, so it was easier for Dworkin to get around, and she had started to settle into the area. She'd been reaching out to other writers and had gone to dinner at Christopher Hitchens and Carol Blue's apartment, where Dworkin and Stoltenberg were joined by the former George W. Bush speechwriter David Frum and his wife, Danielle Crittenden. "Andrea had fun that night-she had wicked fun," says Stoltenberg. They found common ground talking about how much they hated Bill Clinton and how they thought he was a rapist.

Friends say Dworkin felt clear-headed enough to write for only a few hours a day, the toll of a lifetime of insomnia and all the pain medication she was taking for her knees, but Dworkin had just finished a proposal for a book of literary criticism. In her bedroom, on the worn red chair she used to sit on, Stoltenberg has left untouched the yellow legal pad on which she'd been taking notes: "Use against Hemingway, Hitler and Bush," it says in red pen. "The real America hates war." Her desk is in another room, where there is a poster that says DEAD MEN DON'T RAPE.

[...]