[lbo-talk] NYC demo

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 2 18:16:25 PDT 2005

joanna wrote:

> Absolutely! The only reason to organize now is to help the people of
> Gulf. "I told you so's:" demonstrations make me sick to my stomach.

Oh Shit! The only reason, _ever_, for demonstrating is to attract more people for the next demonstration or (better) for the next meeting of the group doing the organizing. How many hundred thousand Iraqis are going to die before the u.s. leaves. How many hundred thousand more are going to die afterwards for each extra month the occuaption lasts. One of the factors (not the main one, probably not even the second or third one, but one factor) determining the length of the occupation is the growth and intensity of left activity in general, not _just_ anti-war activity. Your squeamishness can contribute to people dying. And it's people dying that make me sick to my stomach.

Demos NEVER have an immediate effect. So stay home, because these demos won't give a bit of help to the people dying in NO now. But they might help save people a year or three years from now.

Carrol