[lbo-talk] NYC demo

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sat Sep 3 08:44:05 PDT 2005

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

> What's the diff between "I told you so" and pointing out all the
wretched shit that led to this disaster - racism, poverty, environmental degradation, evisceration of the public sector, the idiot complacency of our leaders, etc. This is big stuff, and how do you point it out without "making people sick"?

Tone, and consideration of where people are at right now. "I told you so" at this moment is like Patton slapping that soldier.

Now, here's something that strikes me as effective (though not Katrina-specific), for some audiences and some purposes, effective enough that I contributed a few of my own memories. Probably you'd want to edit it for the target audience, and keep it relatively short--lots of ways to do that online with enough randomization to keep it interesting--and always keeping Scalzi's kicker at the end during Katrina:

"Being poor is people wondering why you didn't leave."

http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/003704.html

Thanks,

John A

see me fulminate at http://www.jzip.org/