[lbo-talk] Met by Despair, Not Violence

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 12:24:45 PDT 2005

On Saturday, September 03, 2005 11:27 AM [PDT], B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Daniel Lak of the BBC has been doing some amazing
> on-the-spot reportage in NOLA, and what he describes,
> he says is unlike any disaster he's seen in his
> career. (Heard him on NPR during "BBC World Service"
> deep into the night.)
>
> Basically, he says at most int'l disaster sites he's
> seen int'l aid agencies setting up tents, booths,
> doling out medicine, supplies, etc. Here he sees
> federal agents with rifles storming in, cop cars
> patrolling with sirens on, and the attitude is more
> one of "We need to lock this place down," rather than
> "We need to supply aid."
>
> -B.

Why does he think they folded FEMA into DHS? The feds rounded up 10,000 fleeing felons nationwide overnight a couple of months back as a logistics and co-ordination exersize with state and local police departments participating.

Now FEMA is getting practice as *part* of an "occupation army". That means "security first", not relief aid. What better place to practice than your own country?

It sounds like everyone expects mints on the pillows of the buses that *always* stop to pick up the DPs, or that the police *won't* shoot-to-kill over the food in a safeway or 711.

How effing naive.

Leigh www.leighm.net