[lbo-talk] Re: NYC demo

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 3 13:11:48 PDT 2005

Dear List:

Kelley writes:

> maybe people are just so fucked up, they want to be
punished?

In my experience there are more masochists than sadists in the world.

> And the "I told you so" approach would work?

Definitely.

> But, do we want so many people who want to be punished
on our side?

Of course we do. They make wonderful foot soldiers and the best of them are creative and offer useful advice to strengthen the cause without ever wanting to be in charge. Good BDS gatherings and activism would be impossible without them.

> That whole "I want to be punished" thing drives the
hairshirt leftism that people often deride, no?

No. Hairshirt leftism i sjust pubilc protestations of guilt by those who do not want to be punished. Those who seek punishment do not make a big thing of it; they just assume the position that ismost natural to them.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister