[lbo-talk] Re: A good top is hard to find (Re: NYC demo)

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 3 15:06:51 PDT 2005

Dear List:

Kelley writes:

> If my approach is unacceptable, because it isn't
sufficiently capable of picking up on this dynamic -- the swath of people who wish to be humiliated -- then how should we go about humiliating them into becoming allies?

First, don't call it humiliation. Call it "bottoming with purpose and pride."

The Left just needs to admit that its activists fall on different points of this continuum. Some people are best suited to bottoming and some to topping. But those who are permitted to top must be true tops and not just control freaks or those looking for self-aggrandizement.

These tops must then creatively and effectively offer leftists bottoms opportunities to help the cause through appreciated servitude.

This is something the right is brilliant at -- it has high functioning bottoms at all levels.

The left turns off its bottoms by worrying too much about process. You want to fuck with a bottom: tell her the decision is up to her! Talk about being a sadist!

So first we must identify those left tops who can truly lead, and then create a campaign of welcome for leftist bottoms, acknowledging their contributions and promising to respect their bottom headspace.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister