[lbo-talk] Re: A good top is hard to find (Re: NYC demo)

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Sep 3 15:23:27 PDT 2005

At 06:06 PM 9/3/2005, BklynMagus wrote:
>Dear List:
>
>Kelley writes:
>
> > If my approach is unacceptable, because it isn't
>sufficiently capable of picking up on this dynamic --
>the swath of people who wish to be humiliated --
>then how should we go about humiliating them into
>becoming allies?
>
>First, don't call it humiliation. Call it "bottoming
>with purpose and pride."
>
>The Left just needs to admit that its activists fall on
>different points of this continuum. Some people
>are best suited to bottoming and some to topping.
>But those who are permitted to top must be true
>tops and not just control freaks or those looking for
>self-aggrandizement.
>
>These tops must then creatively and effectively offer
>leftists bottoms opportunities to help the cause
>through appreciated servitude.
>
>This is something the right is brilliant at -- it has high
>functioning bottoms at all levels.
>
>The left turns off its bottoms by worrying too much
>about process. You want to fuck with a bottom: tell her
>the decision is up to her! Talk about being a sadist!
>
>So first we must identify those left tops who can truly
>lead, and then create a campaign of welcome for
>leftist bottoms, acknowledging their contributions and
>promising to respect their bottom headspace.
>
>Brian Dauth
>Queer Buddhist Resister

OK. But I"m talking about creating a campaign, right now, to respond to the NOLA situation. if my message is wrong, what kind of slogan would appeal on your view?

What you seemed to say was that plenty of people want to be humiliated. OK. So they are in the general population, among those who are likely to be on our side, they just need a nudge. So, we sdon't want to preach only to the choir. IF you were to organize the NYC democ, what would you do? What would the theme be? The slogan(s)?

Obviously, I have nothing against abstraction. I like theory. But, we were talking about what an acceptable demo would look like.

So, everyone likes to complain, but no one offers an alternative. I did and asked for feedback. Good feedback. So, now I'm saying, "YOur perception about what appeals to people is interesting and convincing enough to me that I'm on board. Tell me how you'd concretize it because I'm not sure how to do so myself, since your view is new to me. since you know it better, maybe you can give me a really concrete example of what a demo should 'look like" or what its slogans should be."

Make sense?

Thank you, I appreciate this.

Kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin