[lbo-talk] why you can't evacuate 100% prior to a storm

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Sep 4 11:00:47 PDT 2005

At 01:45 PM 9/4/2005, W. Kiernan wrote:
>snitsnat wrote:
> >
> > Imagine if Tampa Bay had forcibly evacuated for both
> > Charley and Ivan?

Yeah, I agree. I was responding to the notion that forcible evacuations would only occur at Cat 4 and above -- that was the suggestion I was handling when I composed that response which I sent of copy of to the list.

It takes 57 hours to evac just Tampa Bay. IF you add to the mix the people coming from the south, because of the 600 mile strike radius, it takes 105 hours. The disaster planners probably have numbers on how many will die in traffic accidents.

I don't know exact details for NO, though I do know their egress issues aren't as perilous. Still I was addressing the notion that Nagin should have commandeered buses 48 hours prior to the expected strike hour. These people are just total maroons.

Kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin