[lbo-talk] poll: 45% of Americans have their heads hopelessly wedged up their asses

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Sep 4 17:40:17 PDT 2005

http://www.google.com/search?q=nixon%20approval%20rating%20august%201974

> On 9/4/05, Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:
>
> > As I recall, Nixon's poll rating were
> > still well into the thirties right up
> > to the night that he resigned from
> > office.

You are correct. But Nixon was still in the thirties through the spring of 1974. http://field.com/fieldpoll/presidents.html

I don't think that his drop to 24% occured until his last week or two in office when the bill of impeachment had been voted on by the House Judiciary Committee. By then it was clear that if the bill reached the House floor it would easily pass, and that it would be highly unlikely that Nixon would be able to avoid conviction by the predominantly Democratic Senate.