[lbo-talk] Chertoff: "Katrina Scenario Did Not Exist"

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 18:53:31 PDT 2005

> I doubt you're more "brainwashed" than I am or most
> anyone else here. Did you choose what judges you
> worked for? Perhaps you chose men of character?

Yes, both, we chose each other, I mean, they gave me interviews and offers and I could accept or not. And by the the way, two of them were women of character. But I got to know lots of othert federal judges. Through a number of peculiarities of my career I probably know more federal judges on the Northern District of of Illinois and the Seventh Circuit than most former law clerks. The worst of them are jerks, not liars. The worst two on either court I have heard lots of waful things said about, but never that they were dishonest. I don't mean just not corrupt, I mean nnever heard it said by the people who hate them most that they weren't sreaight shooters.

> It is entirely probable that he never saw the
> specifics on plans for NO. His statement was that NO
> ONE
> anticipated it, not that he was not aware of such
> plans. There is a difference. I don't expect him to
> know
> every plan for every city across the country. That
> would be impossible.

WEll, don't take that stuff too literally. ANyway if he never saw the plans, how was he to know that someone had anticipated it?

> I don't think malice was overtly at work here.
> Fuckupery sums it alright. Benign neglect is another
> way to
> view it however. Not giving a shit about people and
> treating the evacuation as "every man for himself"
> may
> certainly be considered malicious by many people
> though.
> I do think he is delusional. Lots of high ranking
> people are. They lead insular lives which keep them
> from
> really knowing what's going on on the ground. I've
> had plenty of first-hand experience with people like
> that.
> I am also claiming this as my opinion, not stating
> it as fact however. I don't recall saying I thought
> he was
> insane.
> A person in his position is supposed to make it his
> business to do some specific things. He didn't. That
>
> makes him incompetent in his job as well.

He certainly didn't handle his first serious test very well, to say the least.

He may be a
> cracking good
> lawyer but that isn't a skill much needed as
> Homeland Security Secretary.

That I will agree with.

______________________________________________________ Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/