[lbo-talk] Evacuating half a million people

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Sep 5 19:03:53 PDT 2005

At 09:23 PM 9/5/2005, suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp wrote:
>>The main problem is that people didn't really know that the
>>hurricane was going to hit New Orleans directly until about 30-48
>>hours ahead of time. I was
>
>This thing about "not knowing" does not mean anything.

It does if the people bitching are asking that the mayor evacuate the entire city OUT of the city. Under the best pre-hurricane conditions, it takes 8 hrs to get to Baton Rouge.

Do you think I just make this stuff up for gits and shiggles?

Don't get me wrong, but look: you have even taken the time to understand the issues involved in the thread, let alone the one I raised the other day about evacuating, or that Bill Kiernan (WDK) raised.

And you're expecting.... ?

You're comp airing evacuating to your neighborhood school. The issue was evacuating residents OUT OF THE CITY ALTOGETHER. ALL OF THEM. This is a quirk of the maroon-o-sphere, to hang Mayor Nagin.

I'm trying not to be short-tempered, but I can't believe after all I've typed I have to freakin' type it again. I'm going to go breathe.

OK. I've breathed.

You are also assuming prediction is the same in your world as it is in the Gulf. It is not. The path of a hurricane is uniquely precarious in this part of the world.

Please see WDK's post of the other day, the one entitled "why you can't evacuate 100%" or something like that. I started the thread. And then go confirm with the people at NOAA or something.

Or type in Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne at NOAA and look at the prediction and the actual path.

Or don't. I honestly don't really care anymore if you think I just make this crap up.

When I said "not knowing" I was talking about not knowing well enough to evacuate everyone. Would a large Japanese city tolerate evacuating 1 million residents in the greater metro area if that meant the businesses would shut down for 5 or more days, when a hurricane might just not hit at all?

That happened four times here. Twice at Cat 4 and above. Or could have, had we evacuated everyone 5 days prior, which is what it takes to evacuate everyone OUT OF THE CITY. To get the truly out of the hurricane's path. Well, they couldn't really know for sure.

Again, go look up Hurricane Charley. Tampa was gonna be the big hit. It wasn't, and that only changed 2 or 3 hours BEFORE EXPECTED STIRKE TIME.

What happened was, all the people who'd escaped to C Florida ended up weather the hurricanes, tornadoes and floods there.

>Want to take a look at the beast ?
>
>http://weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/images/satellite.html?c=jp_anim

Been following it. R spent 20 years in your neck of the woods.

>SOmetimes you feel like too much data is sent over the media
>networks, but at least you _know_ what is going on. And that is
>_live_ data from right under the storm (with live images from NHK
>offices).

I do too, just before a hurricane. The information is available. Do you realize that years ago, they started a PR campaign because a lot of people wouldn't leave and they knew it was a problem. The same PR campaigns around here, too.

As a result of that campaign, in a city that blows off 1 and 2's, they'd gotten twice as many peole to evacuate, on their own, than they used to by the time Georges came in 1998. Last year, with Ivan 80% left the area.

Please read this http://www.weather.com/newscenter/specialreports/hurricanes/vulnerablecities/neworleans.html

>Every one _knows_ where to evacuate and evacuation places are within
>walking distance (either primary schools or community centers).

I don't disagree with your points, thought we have plenty of education.

People do evacuate just as well as you they do too. When a hurricane's coming here, everyone knows about it. Believe me.

Kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin