[lbo-talk] my half million man and mom march

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 05:39:23 PDT 2005

On 9/6/05, Daniel Davies <d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> OK, I suppose I owe some specifics here:

<those specifics snipped>

I think you and Kelley are having an irritated, at at times even angry agreement based on two different uses of the word "evacuate". You seem to use the word "evacuate"' to mean "get people to a safe place". Kelley seemed to be using the word to mean "get people out of town".

Kelley never asserted the chaos was unavoidable or the problems of avoiding it technically unsolvable. She suggested that not having a significant amount of people remaining in New Orleans was logistically unfeasible - that other solutions would be probablly be required, and were certainly more sensible. I won't speak for her, but I saw nothing in her post that would have contradicted the idea that providing safe places in New Orleans - supplied with food, water, doctors and medicine, and medical equipment - would have been feasible. And I doubt she would disagree that some sort of transportation could have been supplied for many of the people who desperately wanted to leave but were unable to.

You seemed to concede in your post that a fair number of people would have to be left in town no matter what - which was one of the key points she was making.

-- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net