[lbo-talk] anxious

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Tue Sep 6 07:59:17 PDT 2005

Cristobal Senior wrote:

> D Henwood wrote: "Well for one the 70s were a time of wildcat strikes and

> Third World rebellions; there's not much of that now." Doug Comment:

> I am really surprised by this reply. The whole Islamic world is in

> revolt in three continents and, similarly, most of South America is

> in a state of political effervescence, especially against US corpos.

> The war in Iraq continues to eat US fiscal resources away putting

> severe downward pressure on the dollar and interest rates which in

> turn pulls down job creation and income generation,etc. Actually, a

> lot of etcs. I have always been convinced that living in Manhattan or

> Brooklyn produces a severe case of metropolitan insularity out of

> which the rest of the world is seen in a foggy,cloudy state.

Not geography. I live a block from Doug, and totally agree with you that, from what I have read and been told, the current state of effective opposition to globalizing capitalism in Latin America is stronger than in the 70s. In Colombia the FARC is way larger and present in far more of the country than at any point in the 70s (there is a good piece in the current MR on the FARC but it will not be up on the net until next week). Venezuela needs no comment, Ecuador & Bolivia likewise.

BTW I am very happy you're here, maybe you're from a different borough but we're coming from the same place.

john mage