[lbo-talk] Evacuating half a million people

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Sep 6 13:58:46 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood

John Lacny wrote:

>The spectacle of government officials appealing for volunteers and
>donations to the Red Cross and so on is sickening beyond words for
>any decent person, when clearly it was the government's
>responsibility to get on this immediately.

Even now, they're crowing about the $400m pledge to various charities. That's lovely, but in a few hours, even our dumbass Congress appropriated $10.5b, or 26 times as much. There's really no substitute for the public sector in something like this.

Doug

^^^^^

I heard a man on television making an appeal to us average Americans to donate diapers, other toiletries, some other small , useful goods. Instead of squeezing us consumers, why can't the companies that make these things produce large orders and immediately send them to the people in emergency need. The government could pay later. The company's donation to the cause is that they give it on credit interest free.

Charles