[lbo-talk] Bush: 2 point bounce!

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 6 15:43:19 PDT 2005

> Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
>

> >See this wording in polling always confuses me,
> >
> >Bush Job Approval
> >
> >Strongly Approve 23%
> >Somewhat Approve 23%
> >Somewhat Disapprove 14%
> >Strongly Disapprove 39%
> >

> >To me "somewhat approve" is worse than "somewhat disapprove",

Why?

Doug Henwood

I know what they mean when the word questions this way but the way I use language "somewhat approve" would constitute being less than 50% satisfied. This suggests more than 50% dissatisfied. "Somewhat disapprove" would mean less than 50% dissatisfied which suggests more than 50 satisfied. I would use the phrases "mostly approve" or "mostly disapprove" and add an "equally approve/disapprove" fifth option. That seems more clear, to my mind anyway.

John Thornton