[lbo-talk] Evacuating half a million people

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Sep 6 15:47:21 PDT 2005

Jordan:
> I don't see your beef; it's not nearly as bad as you think it is.

Not bad? I don't know what is the basis of your opinion, but I actually use the transit system whenever I go (and I've traveled a bit) as I make heroic efforts to use it here, and believe me, it IS really bad. I am talking from experience here, not from some bullshit propaganda put together by the Cato Institute or kindred defenders of the US way of life.

Taking the bus from Baltimore to Pittsburgh can take you as much as 10-12 hours or more is the bus is late an you miss the connection - which happens often. The service is not just bad it is atrocious - dilapidated buses stinking of urine, almost always late, but rude personnel cannot or will not provide you with any information. I can tell you some horror stories that would match the Third World experience.

You want to fly to Baltimore to Pittsburgh? Fine, but you need to fork over $700 to $900 bucks and it will still take you 6 or more hours because there are no nonstop flights. For a comparison, Amtrak will take you there in about 8 hours for under $100.

If this was some poor Third World country - I would say it ain't so bad indeed, but this is the richest country of the world that cannot get even the second world class of service..

You also mentioned driving - which is fine if you own a car and can drive it. My understanding is, however, that about a third of Baltimore population cannot afford a car, not to mention those who cannot or may not drive. Evacuation by car - fine of you own a suburban home and an SUV, but that did not apply to the people left behind in NO. Theirm problem was that the Katrina came one day before their paychecks and they could not afford even a bus fare on that day.

So I guess it is you who must be inhaling - or perhaps be blinded by your own class and suburban life style - not me when arguing that this so called transportation 'system" in this country serves anyone but a bunch of suburban fatheads.

Wojtek