[lbo-talk] Evacuating half a million people

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Sep 7 07:36:46 PDT 2005

Jordan:
> In particular: there is no amount of money that will give you a
> "civilized" fast train from Pittsburgh to Baltimore: it's about the same
> as trying to do Barcelona to Marseille (also 210 miles by air, also 8
> hours by train!), the geography simply doesn't support it.

Ok, if the geography is a main factor, why there are no decent (or not at all) train connections where geography would allow them i.e. most of the US.

One can always make a point by selectively picking the evidence e.g. by comparing a lousy connection in Europe (e.g. Berlin - Gdansk which is far worse than Berlin - Warsaw that you cite) and compare it to a decent one in the US e.g. Washington- NYC. What we need to look is a "big picture" - and that as I already pointed out is not that favorable for the US.

As I said time and again, transportation - or for that matter other public services, such as health or elementary education in this country are better than those in most other countries (save a handful of Western European ones), but at the same time the US is incomparably richer and more technologically advanced than most countries. So we need to control for these differences - at lest when we want to be rational and make valid comparisons. But if the goal is to defend this country's status quo from any criticism - hey, selective comparison is the way to go. But then again, if I needed that kind of discourse, I would take it from the horse's mouth, conservative and patriotic think tanks, rather than form a lefty discussion group.

Wojtek