[lbo-talk] Re: press fries McClellan

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 08:53:53 PDT 2005

Just as a matter of interest, I have a few questions about the role of the White House Press Secretary, which I'm sure you USers can sort out for an interested Brit.

First of all, McClellan is presumably pretty close to the President, and well briefed on the issues. But he seems bear quite a lot of responsibility for putting a spin on events. I realise that most of it must be worked out behind the scenes before these press junkets take place, but it still appears as if he takes a lot of initiative on putting a spin on things for a mere 'Press Secretary'. Does anybody know how things work behind the scenes, and how much input McClellan has in the process? Perhaps we could look at wages to decide on its importance ...

Secondly, it's a very high profile role. In fact, I would say that McClellan does the job that many ministers, including Blair, would do themselves in the UK. Has it always been so, or is the fact that Bush is unable to think of one thing at once part of this?

Many thanks Simon

Last night when we went for pizza I only had one piece and I kicked in ten pounds. That's why I hate going out with those guys. How many pieces did you have? Well, ask yourself who didn't put money in? Right. That's how it always is with them.

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com