[lbo-talk] anxious

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:00:36 PDT 2005

Cristobal Senior wrote:

>This is pure romantic wishful thinking about wall streeters .Most of them
>tend to be cultural ignoramuses of severe proportions. Actually very few
>speak
>foreign languages and maybe about less than 10 % of the Wall St labor
>force
>deal with foreign operations.Not being interested in any thing but their
>myopic job interests, they are definitely extremely provincial types
>lacking in
>elementary "worldliness"
>I'll take any "literary type" over a wall- streeter any time.

I was hoping to focus on people who have clout in this day and age. Disraeli wrote a novel while he was the leader of a national political party. Octavio Paz wrote and collaborated with influential people while he was a diplomat. Richard Brinsley Sheridan was a playwright and leading politician. I just don't see today's writers wielding that sort of clout. If they're marginalized, what does their worldliness count for besides enjoyable dinner party conversation?

M.

_________________________________________________________________ Don't just Search. Find! http://search.sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx The new MSN Search! Check it out!