[lbo-talk] Why the anti-reality bubble won't break

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Wed Sep 7 11:58:32 PDT 2005

Quoting Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>:

> Michael Pugliese wrote:
>
> > "Hear Me, Oh Preacher Michael Parenti, Gloria LaRiva, Dennis
> >Bernstein! Save Me from communicating w/ the Those I Have The Truth
> >For Here In Counterpunch! 'Yea Though I Walk Through The Valley of
> >Suburbia I Shall Not Fear Dialogue with Those Unlike Me, Who Shops At
> >Whole Foods, Wears Birkenstocks, Sends My Kids to Private Schools,
> >Reads Utne Reader, is a, "Trainer, " or Consultant, And Just Got Back
> >>From A Seminar In Sedona in a Sweat Lodge."

Well I've been shopping at Wholefoods a fair bit, because the other food options are pretty grim, although I have a whole litany of complaints about the place I won't bother reiterating here.

That's about it. I'm not even positive what birkenstocks are in a technical sense. I mean shoes, and flat sensible shoes, I have the cultural reference points down. And I guess I do own my share of flat sensible shoes. Just none of them happen to be that brand. I saw a sign once saying Birkenstocks and I meant to go and look, but I never did. Oh, and I did once buy a copy of the UTNE reader which had Barbie on the cover. Or at least something Barbie-esque, it was a long time ago.

What's Sedona supposed to be invoking.

It's possible this is suburbia, I guess it is. It's less than a block from campus which is all I cared about.

So I think I score about 3/10. Can I play anyway?

Catherine

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.