[lbo-talk] Gallup on Katrina reax: heads still wedged

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Sep 7 14:41:19 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood:

[another small sample, but not all that different from the ABC/WP poll - and this one was taken on a Monday & Tuesday, not a Friday night - so, a large portion of Americans still have their heads wedged hopelessly up their asses]

September 07, 2005

Public Skeptical New Orleans Will Recover

Criticism, but little outrage, for Bush's and federal agencies' response to hurricane

^^^^^^^ CB: Not only that , even though most would agree hurricanes are Acts of God, most won't get angry or critical of God for Katrina. "God is good", i.e. He gets credit for good stuff that happens to us, but no blame for the bad stuff.

This might be a psychology related to inability to hold Bush or the Leader responsible for bad leadership, as discussed on the " Why the anti-reality bubble won't break " thread. For a lot of people their world would pretty much fall apart if they accepted the truth about their nation or their God. And I don't say that in a snarky way. I can understand their state of mind and emotions on this, even if I don't sympathize fully. It is obviously not easy to reject fundamentals and big principles that you have believed all of your life. So much of what one does is organized around and in that worldview.

But I'm with ChuckO that _we_ shouldn't give up in trying to move and change people. The struggle continues; victory is certain. We are just as stuck in our lives and needs to keep trying to make the revolution as they are stuck in anti-revolutionary inhumanity to most of humanity. An obvious thought is that "their" children might be able to "hear" what the elders can't.